2. Use a cookie scoop to ensure cookies are the same size.
3. Chill dough before baking, especially for those cookies with very soft dough. By chilling the dough it will be easier to work with and will take better shape.
4. Ensure accurate oven temperature by using an oven thermometer. Also, you can reduce the oven temperature by 5 degrees to ensure that cookies do not over brown, especially at the bottom.
5. Soften butter at room temperature for about 2-3 hours, do not use the microwave soften butter!
6. Freeze cookie dough, this can save time and the cookies come out great! Freeze cookie dough in scooped size drops and then when it comes time to bake, add 2-3 minutes additional baking time.
7. Use insulated cookie sheets so that cookies cook evenly.
8. Use fresh ingredients! Fresh ingredients including baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, flour, sugar and spices will taste much better then using old ingredients from last year!
10. Use a silicone rolling pin for cookies such as sugar cookies that you need to roll out the dough for. By using a silicone rolling pin you will minimize the use of flour, which will reduce the likelihood of cookies becoming hard and dry due to too much flour (see #1).